Claudia Vera guides you to the support needed for students with disability...
Remember, as a mainstream teacher, you cannot be expected to meet those specialist needs.
Specialist provision is needed for students with disability.
- Additional supports or accommodations may need to be put in place to enable learning.
- It is helpful knowing about a diagnosis. What is even more beneficial is to know the person.
- All of the syllabus documents use a Universal Design for Learning approach.
- Ask the student or their parent or carer what the student needs in order to access learning.
- Talk to other people such as previous teachers, the learning support team or the school counsellor.
- Every school network has a team of support officers to assist the school.
- Know the schools for specific purposes (SSPs) in your area.
Find our Takeaway Notes and Graphic Summary attached below.
Listen to the full CPL Podcast episode here