This one-day course reviews the most up to date research on the role of phonics in the teaching of literacy. It then places systematic phonics in the context of the whole literacy learning journey.
It will include:
- a consideration of the implications for stages ES1-3 classrooms,
- practical hands-on classroom activities
- the selection of appropriate literature,
- differentiated learning needs
Completing a Understanding the Role of Phonics in the Literacy Journey K-6: What the Research Tells Us course will contribute 5 hours of NESA Registered PD addressing: 1.1.2, 1.2.2, 1.5.2, 2.1.2, 3.1.2, 3.5.2, 6.3.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
- The workshop was practical. Ideas from Kathy was super. David was very educational and reignited my desire to use quality literature in the classroom.
- …This was an amazing and informative PL. It has given me a lot of strategies as it directly related to my class and teaching.
- Resources, showing us applicable ways to teach EAL/D kids and reading. I loved the recent research that underpins all the strategies. Great strategies for teaching spelling.
- …a course that is supported by research and gives practical resources for teachers to use.
- …I have gained evidence based knowledge and some practical strategies which I can implement in the classroom.
K-6 Teachers, School Leaders and Literacy/English Coordinators
Small group workshops