This course has multiple sessions over two days focussed on different aspects of theory and practice of teaching the NSW English K-6 Syllabus in order to lead. It starts with outlining the components of a quality English block and a straightforward approach to enable participants to reflect and support own colleagues programming using the syllabus. The course then expands this understanding with an in depth explanation of current and appropriate best practice in teaching responding and composing. While encouraging the integration of key learning areas, our focus remains on the explicit skills needed to be effective communicators in our 21st century world.
There is a task for completion between days 1 and 2 that involves trialling of the session materials and leading school based implementation. Participants will report and reflect on the task at day two of the course.
All sessions provide examples of quality formative assessment practices, visible thinking routines and use of departmental and ACARA resources such as the learning progressions.
Completing a Leading Improvement in Literacy Years K-6 course will contribute 12 hours of NESA Registered PD addressing 3.1.3, 3.3.3 and 6.3.3 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient or Highly Accomplished Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
- Practical examples, [presenters'] honesty, simple yet effective templates that can be used tomorrow, practical approach to programs & literacy block.
- Thank you for being the catalyst to make a change...gave me motivation.
- I like how the presenters are so 'realistic' about what it is really like to be a classroom techer, and understanding of time constraints. Not out of touch...
- ...a relaxed, informative presentation jam packed with ideas and resources.
- A professional learning course that is aimed at leaders and understood the contexts that we are working in.
This course is designed for literacy leaders, assistant principals and instructional leaders wishing to explore current pedagogy in implementation of the NSW English K-6 syllabus in order to improve student learning outcomes in English.
Two separate face to face day workshops with a school based activity to be completed between the two days.