This course is being presented by the Association of NSW Regional Conservatoriums in partnership with the NSW Teachers Federations - Centre for Professional Learning (CPL).
This one-day course is designed for teachers who want to develop skills in directing and developing K-6 choirs, both auditioned and inclusive. The course will approach group singing as a medium for achieving or complementing curriculum outcomes, and cover aspects that include:
• repertoire selection for different stages and abilities
• conducting techniques, beat patterns and meaningful physical gestures
• auditioned versus non-auditioned choirs
• working with young voices
• working with and developing limited vocal capabilities
• articulating the group singing experience with curriculum outcomes
Catering for early stage 1 through stage 3, the course will cover both theoretical and practical aspects of teaching choir, with instruction on techniques for meaningful and efficient gestural communication, along with guidance on how to choose pedagogically and developmentally appropriate songs. Strategies for inclusion of students with limited experience and / or apparent abilities will be discussed and tips for improving pitch accuracy and blending of voices will be demonstrated.
Completing a Leading a School Choir in primary Schools – As Embedded in the NSW Creative Arts K-6 Syllabus course will contribute 5 hours of NESA Registered PD addressing 1.1.2, 2.1.2, 3.1.2, 3.5.2, 4.1.2 and 6.3.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
Comments from Evaluations:
- Each sessions was so hands on. I especially loved the morning session on warm ups and breaking down of beats, patterns, pitch etc. Definitely coming to the next course.
- Practicing and reading music and conducting were most valuable and the resources were fantastic.
- I'm very thankful for the opportunity to come today. This course has made me confident to try out some new ways of teaching singing to my students.
- I feel much more confident and have lots of new ideas about how I will 'lead' and teach my choir.
Teachers K-6 who wish to develop practical conducting skills, an understanding of appropriate, developmentally sound repertoire, techniques for developing young voices and the ability to connect the choral learning experience to the NSW Creative Arts K-6 Syllabus - Music
The course will begin by explaining, demonstrating and discussing the principles, practicalities and purpose of school choirs and their relevance to curriculum; it will explore clear and meaningful conducting gestures, with demonstrations of effective physical communication. Participants will be actively engaged in role play as both conductors and choir member, receiving practical guidance on identifying and utilising the 5 Musical Concepts in the NSW K-6 Creative Arts Syllabus – Music.