This course is designed for school leaders and aspiring school leaders, encompassing the various components of school decisions which are critical to the role of a school leader at any level and is presented by Peter Johnson, who previously had an extensive and diverse career with the NSW Department of Education.
It is intended to provide participants with a sound knowledge of the basics of decision making in schools, including the evidentiary basis for those decisions, a framework within which to make those decisions and exposure to a range of scenarios which have faced their colleagues.
The course also deals with the personal and professional ethics which play a major part in decision making in schools.
The course will consider three key aspects of decision making in schools.
- the distinction between leadership and management
- the international and national trends in devolving decision making to schools
- the personal and professional ethics of decision making in schools
The course will workshop examples of real life scenarios, within the context of a decision making framework and with reference to the ethical basis for those decisions.
It will draw on the career experience of the presenter to provide an insight into how the scenarios played out, and how they should have been resolved.
Participants will complete the course with an understanding of the components which they need to consider when making decisions in schools. These decisions will relate to curriculum offerings, the allocation of resources, selection of staff, use of school finances and any other decisions which need to be considered in delivering educational services to a school’s students and its community.
Completing a Effective Decisions for Successful School Leaders course will contribute 5 hours of NESA Registered PD addressing 6.3.2, 7.1.2, 7.2.2, 7.4.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
- Excellent, I feel like I have learnt lots and am feeling more confident about being part of our school’s decision making process.
- The presenter was very engaging. The scenarios were thought-provoking and generated a lot of useful discussion. An enjoyable and worthwhile course.
- ...a useful and informative course which was relevant to current issues in our schools. It increased my confidence to challenge things I feel could be improved within my school.
- Great presenter with unique set of knowledge experience skills that he so authentically shares.
- The scenarios and (the Decision Making) framework to approach them was very useful.
Teachers in leadership positions in schools or aspiring to those positions.
There will be a mix of full group, break-out and plenary sessions.