Design engaging, student-centred depth studies and student research projects that are manageable, support student learning and are standards-based.
This course is suitable for all Science teachers wanting to develop depth studies suitable for Stage 6 and for those Stage 4 and 5 science teachers wanting to improve the quality of Student Research Projects (SRPs).
- develop a deeper understanding first hand and secondary investigations in science
- participate in a moderating exercise using a standards-framework to assess student work samples
- collaboratively develop a rich Depth Study task (or SRP) and marking rubric.
Session 1: Inquiry science – This session unpacks each of the “Working Scientifically” outcomes in a classroom context
Session 2: Standards-based analysis of sample depth study responses. - This is a moderating exercise where participants use standards-based rubrics to assess sample responses to depth studies and SRPs.
Session 3: Developing a rich depth study. - Participants will collaboratively develop and share depth study and SRP tasks.
Completing this course online will contribute to Elective PD.
- The amount of support provided to us today through the sample tasks analysis and rubrics as well as discussion of depth study was excellent.
- Presenters were very knowledgeable and the presentations were clear and thought provoking.
Secondary Science Teachers
This course is online via Zoom.