Design engaging, student-centred depth studies and student research projects that are manageable, support student learning and are standards-based.
This course is suitable for all Science teachers wanting to develop depth studies suitable for Stage 6 and for those Stage 4 and 5 science teachers wanting to improve the quality of Student Research Projects (SRPs).
- develop a deeper understanding first hand and secondary investigations in science
- participate in a moderating exercise using a standards-framework to assess student work samples
- collaboratively develop a rich Depth Study task (or SRP) and marking rubric.
Session 1: Inquiry science – This session unpacks each of the “Working Scientifically” outcomes in a classroom context
Session 2: Standards-based analysis of sample depth study responses. - This is a moderating exercise where participants use standards-based rubrics to assess sample responses to depth studies and SRPs.
Session 3: Developing a rich depth study. - Participants will collaboratively develop and share depth study and SRP tasks.
- The amount of support provided to us today through the sample tasks analysis and rubrics as well as discussion of depth study was excellent.
- Presenters were very knowledgeable and the presentations were clear and thought provoking.
Completing a Depth Studies and Student Research Projects for Science 7-12 course before 31 July 2021 under NESA’s interim arrangements will contribute 5 hours of NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) Accredited PD in the priority area of Delivery and assessment of NSW curriculum addressing standard descriptors 5.1.2, 5.3.2, 6.3.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
Secondary Science Teachers
This course has a blended delivery (moodle) where participants engage with each other and the presenter in person, but research and share tasks online. Participants will need a wifi enabled laptop.